Sunday 13 October 2013

Busy weekend at the forge. And my roof is halfway up!

Well this weekend sure was a busy one. I have been planning a roof for my forge for a while and have finaly got around to doing it. Samuel and I sunk the three gumpoles needed as the main supports yesterday. Two out of the three holes I had to dig were solid rock, so that was fun to go through. As you can see here this rock is solid!

This is the rock after a dozen hits from Samuel and I

The first pole it up!

 Samuel Helping me with the cement.

 All three poles up.

 And all concreted in! Next weekend we will be putting the brandering and zink sheeting on to finish it. Then forging in rain, shine, snow and sleet!

 This bigish critter I found in my bag of anthracite, maybe that's why the price has gone up from R180 per 70 kg bag to R210...


Here are a few other things I hammered out today (Sunday and all my joints ache from the assault on those blasted dolomite boulders.)

A simple S hook to hold my things on the pole. A few more of these will be made as they are really useful.

I am not sure of the name of this lovely invention but I call it an anvil ruler, it clips onto the top of the anvil and has a very snug fit, the markings on it are more permanent than chalk so it makes accuracy and measurement much easier.

 Another unsure name is this item that I call a long stock forge extension, basically it enables me to work with very long metal stock such as swords and so on. The base is tapered to a point so its easy to drive into the ground, and the top piece is a T shape with raised edges so as to prevent the stock from slipping off. Particularly useful in making my next item.


These are nearly complete, Bolt Head tongs are their name and they come in useful for gripping certain sizes of round and square stock, maybe even some flat bar if you position it right. As you can see I still have to draw out the reigns a bit and weld extra length onto them, but that's for next weekend.

Here you can see the square jaw that makes it so nice to hold onto regular sized stock.

Keep reading guys and let me know what you all think? Thanks to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment